Patient with psychiatric diagnoses with severe symptoms or acute precipitating event, with insufficient protective factors.
Examples of high risk, active suicidal ideation
- Active intent
- Has lethal means of harming self, e.g. firearms, toxic medications, etc.
- Unable to contract for safety, i.e. patient is unable to agree to tell someone else if suicidal ideation worsens
- Potentially lethal suicide attempt or persistent ideation with strong intent or suicide rehearsal.
Consider the following:
Contact the psychiatrist on-call at your local hospital
- Consider sending to your local Schedule 1 facility for emergent assessment
- Complete a Form 1 (Application by Physician for Psychiatric Assessment) (PDF)
- Consider contacting Psychiatrist On-Call at local schedule 1 hospital such as:
- Ottawa Hospital, Civic Campus, 1053 Carling Avenue, 613-722-7000
- Ottawa Hospital, General Campus, 501 Smyth Road, 613-722-7000
- Queensway Carleton Hospital, 3045 Baseline, 613-721-2000
- Hôpital Montfort, 713 Montreal Rd, 613-746-4621
In acute emergency, call 911
Reference: Suicide Assessment Five-step Evaluation and Triage (SAFE-T).